Sunday, February 27, 2011

Stomp Diabetes Race Report

Yesterday was the Stomp Out Type 2 Diabetes short track race at Tom Brown.  Both KK and I entered and it was a first for both of us but in different ways.

For KK it was his first race and he didn't really know what to expect.  He had an awesome attitude going into it that he just wanted to have some fun and finish the race.  We got to there early enough to ride a little of the course, but the butterflies that normally come fluttering in the belly where there anyway.... for both of us.

ready to race


After we got checked in we rode down to a couple of the more technical sections so KK could get a game plan on how to handle them and possibly see where some passing opportunities would be.  We also rode from the start down to the entrance of the single track so there wouldn't be any surprises there.  At some point in our warm up ride the rear mech jammed up on KK's bike.  We got it sorted out but this would turn out to be a major factor in his race!  We talked some strategy and then I left KK on the starting line so that I could get out on the course for some photo ops.  It worked out pretty well as I was able to get some great race shots and cheer all the kids on in their race.  I know the trails pretty good and was able to leap frog thru the woods and get ahead of them for some pictures.

riding strong just after entering the single track

flying thru the rocks!

giving it all he had running up a steep climb


KK was in a solid top 5 spot and had a good gap on sixth with less than 1/2 a lap to go.  There was a bottle neck at the front and nowhere to pass.  As he came by me the last time he said his gears were acting up again.  

gears were starting to skip!!!!
Shortly after that things tightened up in the twisty section of the trail and the 4th place rider bobbled and KK rear ended them.  Somehow the chain on his bike wrapped around the rear derailleur. I had made my way back to the finish linen to catch the end of the race and as the riders started finishing there was no KK.  My heart sank as I knew he must be having trouble.  After the mishap with his gears he was unable to pedal and he ran the bike the rest of the lap and finished!!

I was so inspired by his determination and effort.  It was truly awesome.  He was disappointed in the outcome but as he had a chance to think about it he soon realized what an awesome job he had done in his first race.  Way to go son!!!!

There was a race between KK's and my class so we hung out and waited for the start of my race.  TP and I got a little warm up ride inn down the cadillac trail and got back to the start in time to take one more GU and get to the start line.  There was no single speed class so I lined up with all the guys in my class-- gears or not.  I think there were 2 of us running single speed the rest had geared bikes.  I knew my best chance to have a good race would be to get to the single track at the front so that I would not get bogged down behind the geared riders on the climbs.  I had decided to run a pretty tall gear (34X18) and knew I would need to power on up the climbs or it was going to be a long day.  The problem was there was a long open stretch from the start to the entrance of the single track and I had a feeling I would spin out before we got there and get passed.

Go!!

When the race started I dropped the hammer and somehow made it first into the single track.  I was able to open up a gap on second as we hit the climbs keeping my cadence up and staying on top of my gear.  about 3/4 of the way thru lap 1 I lost the front end in a corner and went down on a climb.  I was able to get up and get going without being caught, but the gap had closed up again.  I was kicking myself for making the mistake.  I decided I needed to put in another big effort to open up another gap so I hit it hard again and was able to open up a small gap.  Not long after this I rounded a corner and somehow picked up a huge snarl of vines in my rear wheel.  I made the decision to stop and pull it out rather than chance it and have it cause bigger problems.  I got it out and was able to finish lap 1 in the lead.

finishing lap 1
Lap two went great, no crashes or mis-haps.  I was able to extend my lead on second place but he was still back there.  I knew if I could get out of site I had a good chance to take the win.


Starting lap 3, feeling good

As I entered the single track for the last time I gave it all I had trying to check out.  At the sections that double back and I could get a look to see if anyone was there I saw no one!  I had a big gap.  For the rest of the lap I focused on riding smooth and clean,, hitting the climbs hard.  Over the last mile I kept thinking I heard a bike right behind me.  It was like a ghost bike, my mind was messing with me.  In the end I pulled out the win..... my first!

TP made the podium with a solid ride too!
 




 


  

2 comments:

  1. Good to know what was going on up on the front! It was in todays paper, too. It is usually good to be mentioned, but would have been better if my finish was not listed after it stated how you "crushed" the rest of the field!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not see that issue of the paper. Sounds like bulletin board material to me!!!!

    ReplyDelete