Monday, February 28, 2011

Gear Choice

With the short track race just a memory at this point, bike racing attention is being focused forward on upcoming things.  Besides the Red Hills Triathlon on April 9th the next big event on the slate is the Cohutta 100 MTB race in Tennessee on April 30.  100 off-road miles in the smokey mountains of Tennessee and Georgia.  I attempted it last year with gears and DNF'd.  It's a long story.  I decided a month or so ago to enter the single speed class this year and I have been thinking a lot about gear choice for the event.   I am sticking with the 34 up front but cannot decide between the 19, 20 or 21 out back.


Judging by the looks of these cogs I have put the 19, and 20 to some use (my go to gear for around here is the 18 that is on the bike now), but the 21 hasn't even been mounted up yet.  The thing that is making it tough to choose is the climbing up there for one thing.  There are long tough, hour long + climbs so I need a gear I can just mash for long periods of time, then there are long flat forest road sections and if I get too much gear I will just be spinning out at a low speed getting passed.  I am doing some research, asking around to other SS riders and keeping in mind my own feeling as to what I can handle.  I fully intend to use te 3 gears I will have on my bike that day.... sitting, standing and ,of course, walking!!!

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I recall much more climbing than flat places where you would spin out, but that may just be me. I also recall trying to hit the shifter a few times even when I was in the 32-34. That said, have you considered the Jake?;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been working on my "standing" gear :) I have thought about the Jake but some of those descents have me thinking it is not such good idea.

    ReplyDelete