Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Race Report cont.

I got KK's bike to the shop today as I was unable to adjust the rear derailleur to keep it from jamming up.  I was thinking the chain was too long allowing the mech to swing up too high causing the pulley to contact the cassette.  I thought another possibility was that the spring was bad inside the derailleur allowing it too much movement.  I was wrong on both counts.  This tab on the derailleur is supposed to contact a stop on the housing that had broken off......

sram X 5 derailleur--notice the shiny silver tab that is not being stopped by a small plastic thingy
 ...... thus allowing the mech to swing up into the cassette and jam.  When that happened, no more pedalling, its time to push!!  It is the classic 10 cent part messes up your race scenario.  No, the derailleur is not a 10 cent piece, but the little tab that broke is so insignificant.  I mean, I have never noticed it ever being there. I did not even know they existed.  It is good to know what the problem was and know that that will not be an issue again.  You may be wondering how to fix this type of thing.  Well, like most times when you break something on your bike, its time to UPGRADE!!

upgraded sram X7 derailleur

The guys at Higher Ground did a great job of finding the problem and getting it fixed up and shifting better than ever.  I think KK and I will need to do an extended test ride and report back after that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment