Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mountain Preparations continue

I spent a little time preparing the Lynskey for the upcoming trip to the mountains (in between proof reading book reports).  My hope is to try out my race set-up for the upcoming Cohutta 100 on this trip so I have made most of the changes to the rig I intend to make for race day.  The course is a 100 mile loop and goes thru some very remote areas, so it pays to be prepared, but I am trying to balance what all I take with making sure I am comfortable on the bike and I don't want to lug any un-necessary weight up those long climbs.  Basically, I put on a new rear tire (tubeless, 2.1 to save a little rotating weight and new means less likely to flat, right?), new brake pads, new chain, changed the rear cog from 18 to 20, and installed a Mountain Pump for flat repairs.

This is a pretty cool pump.  It's not only light and small it also doubles as a CO2 inflater and has a secret compartment in the handle for storing some tire patches and a tire boot.  I may flip it over to the other side of the frame after I test it out.  The more I think about it it seems like it would be better to have it on the non drive side of the bike. 

Gearing is my big question mark for this race.  I have to choose just one!!  I am pretty sure this is it but we will see.  This is the biggest benefit to having a chance to get up there and do some really long climbs.  I will know if this is enough gear or if I need one more tooth up to a 21.  

The awesome strap race in argyle!  Style points count for something.

I forgot to mention I replaced some frame stickers with Young Life decals!!

I am going to run with two water bottles and set up drop bags to re supply myself along the course every 20 to 30 miles.  My goal is to keep as much weight off my body and on the bike as possible so no Camelbak for this race.  I figure I am going to be out of the saddle for long periods of climbing and earlier this year at San Felasco I used the Camelbak and did nit like it.  I actually think I drank less when I had it on than when I used bottles too.

Tomorrow I will get the Tarmac ready for the Young Life ride this weekend and the upcoming mountain trip.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment